Developmental Observation papers
Analyze developmental issues related to physical/biological, cognitive, psychological/emotional, and social changes across the lifespan. Compare the various theoretical frameworks as they apply to development and apply these theories to understanding of actual people in one’s personal or professional life. You will demonstrate competence in a quality written response that meets the standards listed below.
• Observe three age groups
o Paper #1 – Infancy, Toddlerhood, OR Early Childhood
o Paper #2 – Middle Childhood OR Adolescence
o Paper #3 – Early Adulthood, Middle Adulthood, OR Late Adulthood
• Observe for 15-30 minutes. You may choose whichever age group listed for the given paper, though keep in mind that at least one observation must be of a non-family member or friend (of a person/persons unknown to you).
• Write a 2-3 page paper in which you:
a) Explain what you witnessed in terms of developmental functioning or milestones (physical, emotional, cognitive, etc.).
b) Apply at least two of the following major theoretical frameworks to your understanding and analysis of the observation: psychoanalytic (Freud), Psychosocial (Erikson, Levinson), behaviorism/social learning theory (Watson, Skinner, Bandura), cognitive (Piaget, Vygotsky, Information Processing, Gardner and Sternberg), biological.
c) Incorporate nature (biological/genetic) and nurture (environmental) influences in your discussion and how what you know about this contributes to your understanding of the person/group.
• Please note: Each age group has a specific due date which falls after we have studied this group—see course schedule.
• Cite support from the text.
• There should be an introduction and a conclusion for full credit.
• Rate yourself using the grading rubric below.
• E-mail paper and rubric to instructor on a Word Document (include your name on the paper).